1. Please review your degree audit and complete the MCS Advising Sheet, noting requirements that are “not satisfied.” Effective Spring 2017, all students must complete their MCS Advising Sheet prior to being advised, and you must bring this document to your appointment. If you arrive unprepared for your appointment, your advisor will not be able to work with you, and so will ask you to reschedule on the MCS Advising Calendar. Depending on the availability of appointments, you may not be able to reschedule for a time before your registration window opens.
2. Review the schedule of classes to determine which specific courses you will take in your final semester to fulfill the requirements that were marked as “not satisfied” in your degree audit and record them at the bottom of the advising sheet. *The schedule of classes will be published on March 27th, so you will not be able to fully complete this step until then*
3. Determine your appointed registration date and time. Your registration appointment is based on the number of earned credit hours only and does not include course work in which you are currently enrolled. For example, if according to your degree audit your total credit count is 90 and you are currently enrolled in 15 credits (denoted by the yellow diamond in the “Status” column), your registration appointment is based on the 75 earned credits that you have (90-15=75).
4. Sign up for an advising appointment that is BEFORE your registration date and time through the Senior Advising Calendar. You are required to bring the completed MCS Advising Sheet to your advising appointment – if you come to your advising appointment without the completed MCS Advising Sheet, you will be asked to reschedule. Please make sure your Google calendar is set to Eastern Standard Time BEFORE making an appointment. If you have a hold on your account, please do not wait until you resolve the hold to make an advising appointment; while there is nothing we can do regarding the hold, we can still clear you to register for courses.
*If you need MCS 499, you will be issued permission DURING your advising appointment, so please come with the specific section of MCS 499 that you’d prefer selected. Permissions will be issued on a first come, first serve basis. If you need a specific section of MCS 499 due to scheduling conflicts with other courses, make an advising appointment as soon as possible.*
5. Show up to your advising appointment!
6. If you are advised to take a course that requires departmental permission, please follow the instructions below:
- MCS 404 – Please fill out the MCS 404 Permission Request Form and we will contact you.
- MCS 484 – MCS 484 is offered by invitation only. Please e-mail Dr. Shewbridge for information.
- MCS 499 – Permission for 499 is granted to graduating seniors only during advising.
7. If you fail or withdraw from courses that you are currently enrolled in AFTER your advising appointment, your schedule for next semester and your eligibility to graduate may be impacted.